At Syncify, we build software to give you the best experiences that you can share with others. To do this we need to understand your listening habits so our technology works specifically for you. We also need to let others see your data so they can enjoy experiences with you.
Your privacy and the security of your personal data is always our priority. This policy is to clearly explain how and why we collect, store, process, and share your personal data. It will also explain the options you have as a user around how and when you share your personal data
This Policy outlines the specifics relating to your personal data handled by Syncify Limited. The Policy applies to all Syncify services and any associated services (referred to as the ‘Syncify Service’).
Syncify will regularly develop new services. When any additional or amended service causes a change in the way Syncify collects, stores, or processes personal data further information shall be issued. New or additional services will be subject to the terms of this Policy unless otherwise stated.
The aim of this Policy is to:
- Clearly explain our measures to protect your privacy
- Demonstrate the requirements of personal data to provide and enjoyable experience with the Syncify Service.
- Outline the rights you have available and the choices you can make with the personal data we collect.
- Provide an understanding of what personal data Syncify collects, why it is collected, how it is used and who it is shared with.
You have the choice on whether you want to use the Syncify Service. If you do not agree with this policy and it's contents you have the right to end your relationship with the service.
We may occasionally make changes to this Policy.
When we make material changes to this Policy, we’ll provide you with prominent notice as appropriate under the circumstances, e.g., by displaying a prominent notice within the Syncify Service or by sending you an email and/or a device notification. We may notify you in advance.
Please, therefore, make sure you read any such notice carefully.
Your GDPR rights
Personal data is important and the General Data Protection Regulation or "GDPR" was designed to increase the rights of consumers. Users have access to control how their data is used and we comply with GDPR rights.
As available and except as limited under applicable law, the rights afforded to individuals are:
- Right of access - the right to be informed of, and request access to, the personal data we process about you;
- Right to rectification - the right to request that we amend or update your personal data where it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure - the right to request that we delete your personal data;
- Right to restrict - the right to request that we temporarily or permanently stop processing all or some of your personal data;
- Right to object - the right, at any time, to object to us processing your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation; the right to object to your personal data being processed for direct marketing purposes;
- Right to data portability - the right to request a copy of your personal data in electronic format and the right to transmit that personal data for use in another party’s service; and
- Right not to be subject to automated decision-making - the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision making, including profiling, where the decision would have a legal effect on you or produce a similarly significant effect.
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted using the ‘Contact’ page. If you have any difficulties understanding your privacy, rights, or how to use them, please contact us.
If you feel any concerns relating to the processing of your personal data, we invite you to explain them and will try to resolve any issues. However, you can also contact and have the right to lodge a complaint with your local Data Protection Authority.
The Personal data Syncify collects
The types of personal data collected by the Syncify Service
|Data categories||Description of category|
|User data||The personal data retrieved by Syncify that enables you to sign up and use the Syncify Service such as name and email address. Additional personal data is optional to help us provide a better service.|
|Usage data||Details regarding your use of the Syncify Service. This includes informations such as streaming history, playlists, connections, browsing history, subscriptions, interactions with other users, interactions with the Syncify Service, and queries (including the time and date of these events). Use of third party applications may also have details recorded in connection with the Syncify Service. Content posted to Syncify service such as playlists, comments, photos, ratings, public chat, and interactions with the Syncify Customer service representatives. Inferences about your interests and preferences based on your usage may also be created and stored.|
What is personal data used for?
The Syncify service requires personal data to run effectively, it allows us to:
- Diagnose and fix issues with the Syncify Service.
- Provide the Syncify Service.
- Personalise the Syncify Service.
- Take the correct action in regards to reports of inappropriate or offensive content and intellectual property infringement or plagiarism.
- Effectively evaluate and create new technologies and improvements to the Syncify Service.
- Comply with legal standards, obligations, and requests from law enforcement.
- Fulfil contractual obligations with third parties such as content licensing agreements.
- To establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
- To conduct business planning, reporting, and forecasting.
- To detect and prevent fraudulent use of the Syncify Service or other types of fraud such as phishing or payment fraud.
- To conduct competitions, research, and surveys.
Protection of personal data
Personal data is important to us and we prioritise the safekeeping and storage of data.
Organisational and technical measures are in place to ensure the security of personal data. Our policies of retention of data prevents any unnecessary retention of personal data and protects against unauthorised access. We would like to advise that no system is completely secure despite the protections in place.
Users have a password protected account or log in via third party providers with Oauth. We suggest that users have a strong and unique password which is not shared with others. Users should also log out of the Syncify Service when using in the browser or an unprotected mobile phone.
Sharing your personal data
Your public profile will have the following personal data available on the Syncify Service: your name and/or username, profile picture, who you follow and who follows you on the Syncify Service, recently played podcasts, public playlists, public ratings of episodes, public comments.
Currently the app has no privacy setting and your listening history data is available to anyone that follows you. Do not use the app if you wish your activity to be private.
Any conversations with other users and groups will be available to the other users and groups unless you request its removal.
You are able to request you personal data at any time using the 'Contact' form.
Data storage and deletion
We retain specific parts of user personal data for as long as they are a user of the Syncify Service. For example, we keep your comments, playlists, user connections, ratings, podcast library, and account information.
The Syncify Service only retains data whilst it is required to provide users with the Syncify Service and essential business purposes, such as:
- Informing business decisions for new features and products
- Resolving user and account disputes
- Legal obligations
- Maintaining operations of the Syncify Service
We will remove or anonymise your personal data upon request, unless exceptional circumstances exist. If we are legally allowed to retain data or it is necessary for legal reasons it will be stored until the issue is completed. Such reasons include:
- Lawful business interests including security of users and prevention of fraud.
- User account issues that require resolution, for example claims or outstanding credit.
- Legal, audit, tax, and accounting requirements, that require personal data for the period dictated by applicable law.
During the initial launch phase over 2020 we will be making a series of structural changes the Syncify platform which may result in your personal data no longer matching the new format. In this scenario your personal data will be deleted.
Data transfer between countries
Syncify collects data for use in its offices in the UK but has data stores across the world where its users are located. Syncify may also subcontract processing to, or share your personal data with, third parties located in countries other than your country. This means that your personal data could be subject to privacy laws that are different from those in your own country.
Personal data collected within one jurisdiction may, for example, be transferred to and processed by third parties located in a country outside of that area.
In these scenarios, Syncify will handle data using applicable privacy laws whilst maintaining measures to ensure that it complies with the Standard Contractual Clauses approved by the EU Commission.
Personal data of children
Children under the age of 13 years old are not the audience for the Syncify Service and we do not direct our service towards them. It is illegal to process children's personal data without parental consent under the GDPR guidelines and we do not offer our service to them.
The applicable age limit (the "Age Limit") varies by jurisdiction. If you are under the age limit please do not provide any personal data or use the Syncify Service.
If you are the parent or guardian of a child under the Age Limit, please contact us if you notice the child has provided personal data to us. You may request us to remove the data under the guidelines of this policy.
We do not intentionally or knowingly collect data of persons under the Age Limit. If we become aware that we have collected data of a child under the age limit we will take steps to delete that data which may include deleting the account of that user.
Third party links
We do not control or take responsibility for third parties’ privacy practices.
Please read their privacy policies to find out how they collect and process your personal data.
If you click a link to an artist, author, advertiser or other link provided in the comments or chats you are leaving the Syncify Service. Any personal data you share by following a link will not be covered by this Policy.
Contact our Data Protection Officer by using the ‘Contact Us’ form if you have any questions regarding this policy. We will be happy to hear from you.
Syncify Ltd is the data controller for the purposes of the personal data processed under this Policy.
Enjoy Syncify safely!
© Syncify Ltd.